View Single Post

Old 04-06-2018, 06:59 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 37,328 Times in 4,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJelly View Post
I have recently gotten back into reloading after an 18-year absence. I lived in Germany for 16 of those years and buying powder there was just too difficult. Back in late 2016, I picked up two cans of Power Pistol in case the election went south. PP has worked very well for 9mm and .380 and even pretty well for .38 Short Colt (yes, I'm that weird ... ).

I've started loading more .38 SPL and am worried about the volume density of PP - I just loaded some Speer 125 JSP's with 6.8-g of PP. As a test case, I double-charged a couple of cases with the PP load and it did not fill them; it left enough space that a bullet could prolly be seated.

OK, so to the point - I would like to get a can of clean burning mid-range powder - faster than 2400 (which I used alot many years ago). And, whatever powder I get needs to more fully fill a .38 SPL case. I've done some checking around and it looks like HS-6 might fit the bill, and not have as much flash and bang at the range.

Again, I'm not a complete newbie to reloading but a lot has changed in the last 20 years!! It looks like my old 2400/Unique loading days are long gone. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated...
All this topic has done is make me realize how much I do not know about powder anymore. I have not reloaded in 20 years, and then it was shotgun. I used green dot for shotgun target loads and 2400 for all magnum pistol loadings. I did use some unique. I stayed away from bullseye. As I recall, it was quite dirty. Never heard of some of the powders being mentioned here. Have some research to do. I think there are green dot pistol loads
The Following 2 Users Like Post: