View Single Post

Old 04-07-2018, 01:30 AM

Liked 9,018 Times in 3,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDOT37 View Post
Power Pistol & Longshot load data is typically within a .5gr of each other where you find them tested under the same conditions in semi-auto cartridges. (Longshot being a tad slower but virtually interchangeable.)

Blue Dot is a lot slower.

With Bullseye assigned a relative quickness of 100, Blue Dot is listed at 37.8 and Power Pistol as 58.6.

Funny you should post this. I just checked on the Hodgden burn rate chart and they actually show Longshot to be a tad slower than Blue Dot. Longshot is #55 and Blue Dot is #52 on their chart. I do note though, that Hodgdon Longshot data shows less powder being used in loads for 357, 38 Special and 44 mag than Alliant shows for BD, which generally would seem like it should be the faster powder of the 2. Here is a link to the chart I am talking about: <<<LINK to chart>>>

Anyways, I wasn't referring to the burning speed so much as the usefulness of Longshot as compared to Blue Dot. I find them both to very pretty versatile. BD meters much worse for me in my Lyman 55 and also my original Dillon RL-450 powder measure. I haven't tried it in my new Dillon powder measure since I got it a few months ago. The finer grain flake of the LS seems to be more consistent in those powder measures. I've been using BD since the 80's and it's a great powder, but I just don't trust my powder measures to throw consistently with it. So I end up scale weighing the charges. Every once in a while, I will get a throw that will be .3-.4 heavier than normal and if I am pushing towards the hot side it will make a really hot round.
The Following User Likes This Post: