Thread: About To Vanish
View Single Post

Old 04-07-2018, 05:23 PM

Liked 405 Times in 94 Posts

I think a lot depends on your LGS proprietor and how much he knows about what you like. Mine is interested in 20th century Smiths and other stuff himself, although he makes his living selling Henrys, deer rifles (popular in my part of the woods), black pistols and especially ammo. I have cultivated his friendship by coming in often, being friendly, telling him what I like (repeatedly) and occasionally paying asking price (no offer) when I think it is reasonable. Now, he knows me and he knows of a lot of guns that I might want that are not in his shop. In the last couple of years I have picked up a 14-3, a 24-3, a 19-4, a 27-2, a 1905 4th 32 wcf (average) a 1905 4th 38 special Target (very good), and a 44 Hand Ejector 2nd (tight but no finish), not to mention a Colt Police Positive Special 32 long (new in box), and several pristine H&R top breaks from a guy getting rid of his collection. Maybe a couple more I can't think of. I dicker a bit when I think it is justified.

That is just all I could afford or maybe a little more. If I went to shop where I was not known and tried to make a real good deal they would think I was a dealer and I wouldn't be able to get a drink of water.
The Following User Likes This Post: