View Single Post

Old 04-08-2018, 10:25 AM
US Veteran

Liked 14,343 Times in 5,470 Posts

The question I ask myself is why would I want a gun I do not shoot? Wall-hangers and "white glove" revolvers do nothing for me, so if I buy it, I will shoot it. Half the fun of owning antique and vintage firearms is learning all about the history, function, accuracy, and mechanics. Shooting is essential in learning about all four. I shoot Model 1 - 1 1/2 - 2 - 3 S&Ws. I shoot 22 Ladysmiths, Single Shot, HFTs; 32 SA, DA, & Safeties, as well as 38 SA, DA, Perfected, & Safties. I shoot pre WWI 32 HEs, 32 Winchester HEs, 38 HEs, 44 HEs, 45 HEs, 455 HEs . . . whew . . . Hey, maybe the key is to have one or more of everything and that way, you won't wear any of them out!!

Every time I go out to the range to shoot my muzzleloaders, Sharps, military bolt actions, or shotguns, I take along some oldies & goodies with a handful of ammo for each. If I owned a gun I did not shoot, it would have little meaning to me and those I have unwisely purchased and not shot got sold. Do I have some safe queens - yes, but they also go to the range.

Bottom line is that I can only speak for myself and everyone will have to make their own decisions, but shooting them has opened up my understanding of the history, development and function of firearms that, for me, I would have never understood by reading or sitting around and looking at them . . . or worse yet, buried in the back of the safe to never see the light of day.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: