View Single Post

Old 04-08-2018, 06:43 PM

Liked 210 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJelly View Post
This continues to be a great read - Thanks Gents! I made it out to Cabela's in Gainesville yesterday. They had a surprisingly large selection of powders - although some cans were empty and marked 'Display'. Trail Boss was the cheapest at $17, 800x, Universal and HS-6 were around $22. None of the Dots or 2400. I almost bought the Trail Boss ... until I saw that I could get a hundred SIG .38 cases for the same price. And, I found Berry's plated 125-g's there for the same price as Midway without paying prolly $6 or $7 for shipping. I still had to pay just shy of $60 to get out of there so the powder will have to wait until next month ... . Unsolicited advice for anyone thinking about retiring - don't! I'm poor as a church mouse ... lotsa time on my hands to reload but the components are killing me. Last but not leasty, I've had a (used) 3-in .38 GP-100 for a couple of years that I've never fired. I'm going to run the 6.9-g PP loads thru it this week. The 686P is much easier to clean, since I can pull the cylinder, but there's no sense in letting the Ruger sit unfired all by itself.
I’m 60 and will probably be working until I’m in the dirt. Bullseye and 231 are my most used powders for 38 special. Some will say Bullseye is too dirty but it’s gunpowder. I just keep a rag damp with Ballistol and give my revolvers a wipe down after a hundred or so rounds. 231 is a bit cleaner but Bullseye is still the most accurate with 148 lead wadcutters out of my 14-3.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: