View Single Post

Old 04-09-2018, 02:24 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 36,109 Times in 4,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinningDag View Post
I might be just panicking for no reason but I thought I should ask anyway.

I'm new to blued revolvers but I did prepare for the maintenance by purchasing a silicon cloth and I head eezox was pretty good so i got that for the gun. I oiled the gun for 4 days last week and only took it to the range once. I even keep it in a gun sock.

Today though while I'm admiring it I see a brown spot on the cylinder. Is it rust or something else? I noticed after firing at the range there were scorch marks left on the cylinder too. Are blued finishes really that sensitive?
Is this a new 27? I am not up on production numbers, but I have never seen happen what you are describing.

Now a word about oiling. There are a ton of products out there, but since 1970 I was shown the following. Get a piece of lambswool( REAL LAMBSWOOL), and treat it with Kellogs #110 or 105 pure silicone. This can be bought in most ace or true value stores.. Spray the lambswool ( about a 7" sq piece) well with the spray. Fold it over and work it in good. Then wipe the cleaned gun down. Put some on a patch for the bore if you like. The large spray cans 12 oz or so say 110 or 105 on them .. If you get the 4 oz can and it just says silicone it will be the 110. Kellogs products is in Sandusky Ohio. Never have I has a spot of rust in 50 years. Much better than a silicone cloth. the lambs wool gets into every crevice. Screw slots too. Kelloggs silicone only.. Can't vouch for the other stuff. It may say Kel 110 or 105 on the can. Read the label. Like I said 50 years, no rust. Retreat wool as needed