View Single Post

Old 04-09-2018, 09:09 AM
US Veteran

Liked 14,261 Times in 5,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Club Gun Fan View Post
Gary
I have ammo for it. I'm asking $50.00 a round to the high bidder, seems he/she can afford it.
Don - I saw the writing on the wall almost 30 years ago when Navy Arms started marketing this caliber. I was collecting Model 1, 1 1/2, and 2 tip-ups in the 1970s and found ammo only available in original boxes of BP and early smokeless, no new manufacture to be found. The old ammo was unpredictable, with many misfires so when Navy Arms started importing ammo almost 20 years later, I jumped on the opportunity to stock up. If I could have afforded more, I would have bought more, but ended up with 3 cases. They were selling for the outrageous price of I think $18 a box. I bought a box of Long and Short and found them to be quality ammo, so bought lots more. I figured that might be the last time anyone would offer this caliber and am glad I made the purchase.

I have still have a mixed case of 32 Long & Short from Navy Arms and am about to bust it open, since I have shot all the ammo from my other cases. Expect it to last about as long as I do, so don't need more. Do I wish I had the three cases to sell for $100 a box today - no.

As for 4 digit Model 2s, there may be some out there asking for that kind of money, but I follow old tip-ups and have notes for 18 of them in similar condition as the one above, selling at auction in the last year for around the $450 - $650 range, so I think only the uninformed buyer will pay this kind of money for a no-finish Model 2. Do I wish they all are worth $2000 - heck yes but . . .

I still enjoy shooting all my 32 rimfire guns, but honestly, friends and range shooters who have never held a Civil War era cartridge revolver enjoy shooting them just as much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010005.jpg (132.8 KB, 35 views)
The Following 3 Users Like Post: