Thread: S&W M1917 .45
View Single Post

Old 04-09-2018, 04:38 PM
US Veteran

Liked 24,874 Times in 8,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinman View Post
You did well, the early ones are coming up in value everywhere. If you've never spent any time shooting a .45acp/ar revolver you will be dutifully impressed. The advice of others concerning moon clips and a reloading tool is good. If you just want to take it out and bang away with it get yourself some standard velocity 45acp hardball (Winchester white-box) load it up and give her a go. If the cartridges do not fall out or pick out with a fingernail you can use something like a pencil to poke them out. Some shooters like myself prefer the 45Auto Rim cartridge which allows you to load the revolver like you would any rimmed cartridge and eject in the common method. Have fun with that one, I'll admit that in my youth these things just went over my head including the wonderful Models of 1950 and 1955, funny how life is. Now they are some of the best shooters I own and I spend as much time shooting them as I do .44 special.
When I was a teenager, I wanted a 1917 S&W. At the time, my handguns were a cap n ball replica and a Colt Frontier.22 LR copy.

My momma got a raise and said I could have any gun I wanted, up to $200. I puzzled and puzzled on that and got a Old Model .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk. Retail at the time was $96. Later handguns were a Webley .455 converted to .45 ACP/Auto Rim and a 1911 built on a Essex frame.

When I entered law enforcement, the chief deputy allowed me to carry my 1911, but he didn't really like it. His prejudice may have to do with the .45 caliber hole in the top of his desk, caused by another young deputy with a .45 auto. BTW, that young deputy is now the high sheriff of that county.

Anyway, I found a reblued 1917 S&W and I started carrying that. My chief deputy was pleased. I sold that 1917 when I had a M27 converted to .44 Special.
John 3:16
WAR EAGLE!
The Following 11 Users Like Post: