View Single Post

Old 04-09-2018, 07:48 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,598 Times in 8,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
Would it be sufficient to make a new firing pin to mount on the hammer (moving the pin itself appropriately) then change the firing pin bushing to one with an eccentric hole?

Also, why go down with the impact? I'd think in terms of moving the pin strike up so the rim would be supported by the cylinder wall rather than the extractor. Is there something wrong with my thinking on this?? I guess in the end, it wouldn't matter with this application, but I've seen a few single shot rifles that hit on the rim over the extractor, and this gives a less consistent strike and ignition.

BTW, has anyone made a study of who did these conversions? A listing of manufacturers (not just gunsmiths who only did a one-off) with the alterations they used and the markings the applied would be an interesting addition to the body of historical data we have available... just "thinking aloud" here!

Froggie

Froggie,

Moving the firing up would make it contact the upper edge of the hammer channel. Center fire pins just clear the channel as I recall.

I don't know of any 'one off' conversions. They all seem to have been done by known arms manufacturers. Not saying there weren't any.
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 04-09-2018 at 09:21 PM.