View Single Post

Old 04-09-2018, 10:15 PM

Liked 9,019 Times in 3,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelhunden82 View Post
Thanks for all the info and for showing me your fantastic 27’s! I love the fit and the grain of the grips but I was planning on picking up some ivory or stag magnas once the budget permits. These 3.5” guns look more balanced to me with the slimmer grips. Is it most likely that it would have shipped with magnas? I may consider selling the target grips if they aren’t original.

I plan to shoot this iron and will give a range report as soon as possible!
I'm pretty sure those look to be original stocks, as they are cut out to not cover up the S&W emblem, which is lower and to the left on the sideplate as compared to the ones on all my 27-2 guns. I have 2 from the 73-74 time frame (3 1/2 & 5") and 3 from the late 70's to early 80's (4, 6 & 8 3/8") and all of those have the S&W emblem rollmarked in the same place on the sideplate. My 5" 27-2 came with the magna grips and I personally found them to be less comfortable to shoot with than the target stocks. And I've found that the Culina stocks John and Jennifer Culina sell to be much more comfortable than any other wood stocks I've tried on my model 27's too. You might look in that direction for a set of replacement stocks instead of Magna stocks. They are a "coke" style stock in the same vein as the S&W "cokes" sold in the 50's to early 60's.

Here is my 4" 27-2 with a set of Kingwood Culina cokes on it.

Last edited by muddocktor; 04-12-2018 at 06:33 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: