View Single Post

Old 04-10-2018, 12:00 PM

Liked 29,249 Times in 13,829 Posts
Default Thank you very much........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk8944 View Post
ABLATION: "Ablation is removal of material from the surface of an object by vaporization, chipping, or other erosive processes." This is not the word for what you want to describe!

In common usage you are looking for "Obturate", which is used incorrectly nearly 100% of the time in reference to firearms! Obturation is the action of sealing to prevent leakage, not the bullet expansion which results in obturation!

You are correct in assuming that the failure of a reverse-seated Speer HBWC will fail to properly expand and seal the bore, allowing "blow-by" of gasses which results in ablation of the surface of the bullet. Commonly referred to as gas-cutting.
Thanks for the correction. I hate using the wrong word. I knew that but was typing w/o thinking.

But the refinement of 'obturation' is new to me, as I thought that obturating was 'expanding to fill' instead of 'blocking'.

So is it correct to say that the gas causes the bullet to obturate the barrel?

NOTE: Looking into Minie' ball, Minie's original design had an iron plug to expand the bullet. An amorer named Burton was the one that improved it by coming up with the deep cavity in the base of the bullet. However it was still a Minie' as opposed to a 'Burton' bullet.

Last edited by rwsmith; 04-10-2018 at 12:45 PM.