View Single Post

Old 04-10-2018, 05:38 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,594 Times in 8,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
OK, so we're talking at least Cogswell and Harrison and Parker-Hale, and I was thinking I may have seen some mention somewhere of BSA doing some. Did most sleeve the barrel and chambers of the existing cylinder or were some replacements made up from scratch?

It just occurred to me that the extractor would have been a challenge... you would either have to build up the original to reach the smaller 22 LR case rim or make a complete new unit with its relatively complex system of notches for the hand to engage and allow the movement needed to bring up the next round. Neither of these solutions strikes me a particularly simple.
Froggie
As shown in the N frame conversion above and other hand ejectors, the chamber liners are left protruding from the rear face of the chambers. It leaves a space on the edge of the cyl that still aligns with the frame stud. A plate like a large washer is added to the ejector star which is fit flush with the liner protrusions. This corrects the headspace issue. The plate is reamed and recessed with the chambers. The star notches are still original. One can also see the hole in the recoil plate (FP bushing) has been elongated downward for a lowered firing pin.

The NM #3 above was done a little more complicated: a plate is screwed to the rear cyl face. It's smaller diameter than the cyl face which again leaves an edge to align with the cyl retaining hook on the frame latch. The ejector star is also left original with a plate added like the hand ejector above.
S&WCA #819

Last edited by Hondo44; 04-13-2018 at 08:44 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: