View Single Post

Old 04-10-2018, 06:37 PM

Liked 9,091 Times in 3,362 Posts

Stripped bolt bodys for a pre64 M70 are usually priced around $200,,complete bolt assemblys at $400. Depending on condition and the caliber that can vary.
That's the price from most parts dealers and rebuild gunsmithing outfits that specialize in the M70.
You may be able to snag one off an auction for less, but descriptions are often vague as to exactly what they came from.

A replacement may drop right in and in fact most will. But a check of the headspace is most certainly in order. Sitting right behind a 270 and it's 50K psi with your only 2 eyes and face, it's really important to check stuff like that.
A couple full powder rounds touched off remotely and a very careful check of the bolt and rifle afterwards is a good thing too.
The history of both rifle and bolt is unkn. Sometimes they end up orphaned parts for no other reason than separating them to prevent the kids from playing with them.
Sometimes other things have happened to the missing part(s).

Just be safe.
Sometimes it pays better to part a gun out,,as much as I hate doing that myself.

If all goes really well in finding and fitting a bolt, you'll probably have a minimum of around $500 in your free rifle.
Not bad at all,,but a mismatched bolt 270 pre-64 M70 w/some rust and use marks is probably about that on the used gun market.

Unless I had a bolt stashed away I have to think I'd probably send that one away in parts and take the cash and buy something else to shoot,,or ammo for something I already have.
Sorry, I don't have a pre-64 M70 bolt assembly,,

Just some thoughts,,,
The Following User Likes This Post: