View Single Post

Old 04-10-2018, 09:38 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 45,740 Times in 4,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM87 View Post
Here are the pictures of the top of the barrel and the side.
I wanted to compare the roll marks on the OP's gun to one of my O/D (the best photos I had of the marks were an engraved one). I also cropped the OP's photos to make the comparison easier:

Side:

Strange Outdoorsman?-wierd-od-barrel-jpg

Top:

Strange Outdoorsman?-wierd-od-barrel-top-jpg

Strange Outdoorsman?-38-44-od-engraved-barrel-top-jpg

The roll marks appear correct to me for the 38/44 O/D, even down to the missing "." after the "S". Quite the mystery? Given what I can see I would have to agree with the direction that Caleb is heading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixgunStrumpet View Post
...my best guess is that it's a commercial 1917 frame that went back to the factory after the Outdoorsman was introduced to have the barrel and sights added.

Then had the hammer/action job done to it by someone I don't recognize. The closest I have seen to that hammer is the one that Frank Pachmayr did on Elmer Keith's registered magnum.
... or maybe they had the hammer and action job done to a 1917 which they loved dearly and did not want to replace. But something happened to the 45ACP barrel, so they sent the gun back to the factory for the factory to replace the 45 ACP barrel and cylinder with 38 Spl O/D parts. While it was there, they had them fit the frame with target sights (but that too may have been done earlier with the hammer and trigger)? That way they had the same trigger pull and the same short action modified hammer that they loved with a new 38 Spl barrel and cylinder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wierd OD Barrel Top.jpg (42.2 KB, 1468 views)
File Type: jpg Wierd OD Barrel.jpg (45.6 KB, 1474 views)
File Type: jpg 38-44 OD Engraved Barrel Top.jpg (92.7 KB, 1483 views)

Last edited by RKmesa; 04-10-2018 at 10:01 PM. Reason: added some more thoughts...
The Following 3 Users Like Post: