View Single Post

Old 04-10-2018, 11:27 PM

Liked 1,393 Times in 842 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGVshooter View Post
1. Yeooow! 1400fps is zipping along. I haven't loaded any 158gr XTP's using H110, only 11.9gr for the 180gr XTP.

2. If that is Winchester AutoComp I would say back it off slightly to 6.8gr.s powder. 7.0gr gives a est of 1181fps, You want at least around 1100fps for a good balance of knock down power & comfortable recoil. I mean 7.0gr would get the job done, but with more recoil.

3. When it comes to magnum loads, I would suggest sticking to exactly what the recipe calls for. If you have a different manufacturers bullet, but it's in all respects a similar design and same weight. Then I see no harm in using it but back off a few grains of powder first, shoot those to see how they work before loading up a couple hundred only to find out you might have to pull them... try it!
1. Point well taken: 1,400 fps is magnum.

2. Thanks: a reduction of 0.2 gr is well workable.

3. This is where the H110/296 WARNINGS come into play re: reducing the MIN load. A "few grains" reduction: does this possibly move us into the WARNINGS area? Where a specific 158gr JHP (or a SJHP, SJFP) may differ slightly from a Hornady XTP shouldn't they safely load at the crimp grove at the published powder maker's MIN?

Cheers! & THANKS!

P.S. I have a bit of H110/296 but have been waiting to better understand these reduced load WARNINGS. Only been reloading for a couple of years, multiple calibers (including three where I don't personally own the weapon: 9mm Makarov, 45 Colt and 44 Magnum), but I'm not to the point where I'm comfortable approaching published MAX loads for any caliber.