View Single Post

Old 04-11-2018, 11:13 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,964 Times in 3,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixgunStrumpet View Post
Do you know if S&W did any short action conversions like this Ralph?

I can't imagine the hammer modification didn't happen in conjunction with the short action job.

Looking at this gun one of the things with the S/N on the rear sight that I think is worth pondering is that this is a 2 screw sight, which I think was mid 1930s? I forget exactly when those came in, I am sure someone can remind me what year that was.

That should date when the conversion to a "Virtual Outdoorsman" was done. I'm excited to see if the Historical Foundation has some records on this.
I know of no short action conversions done by S&W---so we can add that to the list of what we/I don't know. I believe it was Mr. Redfield (JSRIII?) who spoke these words: "We don't know what we don't know."---and that was a stroke of genius!!

The "2 screw" sight came along in 1932----so close enough.

And the mention of the Historical Foundation is another stroke of genius---or at least sage advice---for they too don't know what they don't know---until they look---and they don't look until you ask them------so----------

And out of order, but has it been determined this is a short action? If so, it pretty much stands to reason Roper would have included that feature in his design that S&W made for him----if it's his design---and if S&W made it----and if----if----if.

Having been there and done that, let me suggest you don't spend a lot of time fussing and worrying about the origin of the hammer--it's hazardous to your health.

Ralph Tremaine
The Following 2 Users Like Post: