View Single Post

Old 04-11-2018, 03:02 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,178 Times in 4,571 Posts
Default Tactical Pens and airport security

This could go into the lounge but since it has an impact on concealed carrying of weapons I am putting it here. Besides, it relates a little to this other thread:

Speed loaders and five-shot cylinders

Okay, so, how many of you carry a tactical pen? I will presume that all of you know what they are but, if not, run a search and you will see.

The one thing most tactical pens have in common is that they do not possess a blade. There are one or two that have some kind of blade but they are rare and then that makes them a knife and totally inappropriate for airport security and most other types of security/metal detectors we run into.

A good tactical pen is definitely a pen. It has a ballpoint refill and can be used just like any pen. Some tactical pens have glass breakers on the cap or tip (for car windows), some have rounded bases for striking, some are round but pointed for more serious striking, some have a cup-like structure on the top useful for striking or collecting DNA (and the literature says that). They are all made from aircraft aluminum or a similar metal and can be used defensively in close quarters in a variety of ways.

The problem for the TSA is that they view tactical pens as offensive weapons. "Kubatons" is what they call them. They WILL confiscate them the same way they will confiscate a knife - or let you go back and give it to someone or mail it to yourself, etc.

I tell you all this because on my last flight I had my usual tactical pen in my carry on bag, as always, and it always passed through security until this last trip. I figured they were okay for travel until the TSA lady went nuts over it - that's how I learned that they consider them to be offensive kubatons. I was like, "Seriously? This little thing?" Didn't matter, she was determined, and that was that.

So now you know.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: