View Single Post

Old 04-11-2018, 04:33 PM

Liked 2,249 Times in 1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky! View Post
I'm amazed at these threads about the P365 on multiple different forums. I'm not amazed that the threads exist. I'm amazed at how many, usually intelligent members, state that they "don't get it" and that the P365 is nothing new. This is called being intentionally obtuse. I'm a huge M&P guy and own most forms of the M&P. I'm also a big Glock guy, owning at least one in every caliber except the 42. Having said that, and not being a Sig guy, I at least "get it". Assuming the bugs I read about exist, Sig will work them out. If and when that happens, personal fit notwithstanding, the P365 will (does?) offer more than any other slim9/compact9 on the market. Will it replace my Shield/PPSM2/G43? I don't know; but, assuming a similar comfort level and shootability level and being as objective as I can be, yes. If not, then no. If some fellow gun people had their way, there would be no innovation in the gun industry because they may need to change their minds. Doing so does not call in to question the choices you made in the past. Competition and innovation in the gun industry only benefit us.
What I don't get is all the hype, exaggerations and ignoring of problems.

Sig's Ron Cohen even made the ridiculous statement that it could replace full size duty pistols in some agencies. Pure nonsense. Based on some of praise heaped on the unproven Sig p365, you would think it was the size of a Ruger LCP and as reliable and shootable as a Glock 17. It's not. After handling one, I don't really see anything all that innovative about it. The grip is pretty small. Too small for my hands and I would imagine for most grown men. Unnecessarily small for what you gain IMO since it's still not a pocket gun. Marginal differences and there is nothing significant about 10 rounds. Anti-gunners seem to think there is something extraordinary about a gun that holds 10 rounds, but guys on gun forums apparently think so as well, because I think if the Sig held 8 or 9 rounds, there wouldn't be all this fanfare.

When the Ruger lcp came out, it was considered innovative even though it was just a kel-tec p3at clone. The kel-tec p11 is nearly identical in size, weight and capacity to the p365 and it has been out for over 20 years. Reliability is by far the most important quality in a self-defense firearm and the Sig simply hasn't proven itself. Right now it's hit and miss with way too many ongoing problems to think it wise to purchase one or recommend it.

And for me, the trigger is a deal breaker. It is simply too light/short for a concealed carry handgun. I've seen several comments stating the trigger is so "great" that you have to be worried about unintentional discharges. I find that absurd and irresponsible. Even Guns America warns about the light trigger in their review video. Guns like these are self-defense tools not range toys, so yeah, I don't get why anyone would want such a short-light trigger on a carry gun. I think a lot of people treat concealed carry like a game and just want to buy the newest toy to play with.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: