View Single Post

Old 04-12-2018, 08:56 AM
US Veteran

Liked 32,371 Times in 5,476 Posts

I like vintage and antique guns, more so than anything manufactured in the past 50 years or so.

My Winchester Model 1885 Winder Musket is a .22 Short single-shot rifle, originally intended for military training use about 120 years ago. Shooting from the bench it will consistently shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards.

My Marlin 39A is about 50 years old. Just about any .22LR ammo will provide pinpoint accuracy as far as my old retired eyes can identify the target. My elder son has forcefully stated his claim on the Marlin!

My true favorite is the Winchester 62A, manufactured in 1939. From the bench it will put every single shot into a postage stamp-sized group at 50 yards. Younger son has voiced his claim repeatedly.

These are all original unaltered rifles with factory iron sights. Perfect for small game use, great fun at the range anytime.

Years ago I had a Winchester 52C, US Property marked. Truly outstanding .22 rifle that I foolishly let get away from me! Also had a nice little Stevens Favorite .22 single-shot that I wish I'd had the good sense to hang onto.

I also have a 1970's vintage Savage-imported Anschutz Model 164 bolt-action .22LR equipped with an old steel-tube Weaver K3 with post and crosshair in Redfield steel rings. Scary accurate to 100 yards, just as long as I do my part right. Different critter entirely, built around the old Anschutz 64 action used for match rifles, but with sporter-weight barrel and European walnut Monte Carlo stock. Just about as good as .22's get. I expect the arguments among the grandkids will be fierce, as they have all had fun learning with it.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: