View Single Post

Old 04-12-2018, 03:20 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,052 Times in 4,535 Posts

For the record, jokes aside, politics aside, cynical and and vituperative remarks aside, the "tactical pen" that I lost to the TSA was a Hoffman-Richter similar to Paladin's EXCEPT it was flat on both sides. It had no point. To write with it the cap had to be removed like Paladin's but it did not have that pointed end - I have one like that as well but it's not the one I flew with. So it was a very non-threatening tube of aluminum. But TSA knew what it was and it is on their list as a kubaton, as discussed above, end of story.

So, the whole point is, pun intended, the tactical pen is specifically designed as a personal defense tool that can also be used to write with. If TSA doesn't like them then we are stuck with their rule if we intend to fly. But I pay attention to my friends and Forum members and I lloked up the Zebra F701 pen - it WILL suffice for the purpose. As long as it is metal - plastic is good, pencils are good, but they can break. Aluminum pens will work.

Besides the Zebra referenced above suggestions include the Retro 1951 HEX-O-MATIC Ballpoint and the Rotring 600 pencil and Rotring Rapid-Pro pen. All metal body. Just pens. Ten bucks, maybe twenty bucks, they'll do in a pinch and won't be confiscated or looked at negatively by anyone.

Yes, you are the weapon, so choose your defensive tools carefully.