View Single Post

Old 04-12-2018, 06:37 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,739 Times in 2,624 Posts

The Bodyguard 38 revolver has a reproducible problem in which under certain conditions (like you just closed the cylinder), the first trigger pull simply will not cause the cylinder to rotate. With mine, it also happened at random other times as well.

Many owners never notice as the round under the hammer fires and they think the cylinder has rotated. Not a problem, I suppose, if you always have your cylinder fully loaded. A disaster if you don't, which can happen in a defense situation.

Many owners ignore it or claim it has never happened to them, likely because they are embarrassed to admit they spent money on junk.

I am not embarrassed to admit I spent money on junk. Wouldn't be the first time, and probably won't be the last.

I could not, in good conscience, give away the gun, nor can I throw it in a river, for legal and other reasons. So, like some Taurus revolvers that are also non-working junk even after trips back to the factory (in both the case of the S&W and the Taurus revolvers in question), it sat gathering dust. My son-in-law thought he could fix it - he is an engineer - so I gave it to him. I warned him strictly never to use it until he was happy with its reliability. He reports his efforts are a no-go. So, the junk still sits. If it were anything other than a firearm, it would have been in the trash years ago.

I simply will not buy a revolver that does not work 100% of the time. S&W knows about this problem, and has made a decision to not address it. Shameful, really.

So, if you want their junk, be my guest. I have regretted it every day since the day it arrived, including after its multiple trips back to the factory.

Save yourself the heartache. Get a 442 or 642 without the lock. You will be much happier.

Last edited by shawn mccarver; 04-12-2018 at 06:39 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: