View Single Post

Old 04-13-2018, 12:02 AM

Liked 1,426 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothshooter View Post
I really don't expect the values on older blued steel and walnut guns holding up much longer. 20 years from now a Glock or Springfield Armory will be easier to sell than a Colt Custom 1911, even if they are priced the same.
Same will be true for my semi-custom flintlock rifles and smoothbores, and lever action 1866 and 1873 replica and original Winchesters.
I'm going to disagree, and part of the reason I do is because my college-aged son has begun to catch the collecting bug from me.

If I NEED a handgun for use, sure, it might make sense to get a NEW gun (and by saying this, I mean that it will exclude older Glocks etc).

If I want to COLLECT some guns, as I have done a bit, then I want something aesthetically pleasing.

I do shoot all my guns, and enjoy doing so. But that's an example of function meeting form. I don't want to obtain a polymer pistol "just because"; I do want to obtain yet another steel gun that has been made with skill and craft.

My son is, interestingly enough, the same way. I got him a couple surplus rifles, and he's added to that. He occasionally takes one and oils it down, works the action, examines the details. Just to handle it. He doesn't do that with a modern AR.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: