View Single Post

Old 04-13-2018, 08:53 AM

Liked 9,151 Times in 3,380 Posts

My interests run dry with firearms made after the mid 60's or so.
There are exceptions, but few.
Most all my focus is on pre-WW2 and earlier.
I just have always enjoyed the fit, finish and quality that went into most any of them. Even the low end of the retail market guns of those times.
Labor was the cheap commodity of most of those times and it showed in a lot of mfg'd goods.

I got in to gunsmithing in the late 60's and working for a couple of the firearms companys in the early 70's. It was there I got the firm opinion that the guns that were currently being made (early 70's) were not of the same quality as the older stuff I had already been playing around with on my own.
Now those 70's mfgr guns are considered classic quality compared to early 2000's made pieces.
It's all in what we expect of 'quality'.
If a plastic or aluminum part is acceptible where a steel stamping or before that a steel forging & milled part was used,,then the plastic part wins out.
Part of it is what the customers are willing to accept and still buy the product. The other is the bean counters trying to save pennys on every single part and mfg process for the shareholders.

The gun may function the same, may give just as long a life,,maybe more, but for me personally,,I'll take the older guns with blued steel and walnut as they say.

That's just me of course, and in no way diminishes anyone elses opinion of what may be the better choice for a certain job, or personal likes & dislikes.

Last edited by 2152hq; 04-13-2018 at 08:54 AM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: