View Single Post

Old 04-13-2018, 04:27 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I bought my P89 9mm new back in the late 70's early 80's. It has shot 30-40,000 rounds and never once jammed or failed to feed or fire. At 50 yards, when my eyes were better 4-6 inch groups were the norm. It fires everything from hot factory loads to anything I reload and run thru it. I have had to replace one guide rod and that's it in almost 40 years. To this day it's still one of my most reliable and favorite pistols to take to the range.

In 2011 I bought a Beretta 92 FS thinking I would retire the P89 and was pretty impressed with it the first time I took it out shooting. In fact I took them both and after all these years the Beretta didn't really outshine the P89 at all. I was expecting it to shoot much better than the old Ruger but it was only slightly more accurate than my 40,000 round favorite.

To this day I still take it to the range with me but it has over the years developed the odd habit of throwing a flier 1 out of every 10 rounds. Not the first or the last round or from any specific magazine just 1 out of 10. At 25 yards I'll have 9 rounds in 3 inches but number 10 will be out a couple inches. Still a good chest shot. Accurate, dependable, a little heavy which helps, a real keeper.

The only other weapon I have had this long is a SS .357 Ruger Security Six with the 6 inch barrel. Same number of rounds and still going strong. Bought both back when Ruger's were good values with excellent quality control. Have had a lot of guns go thru my hands in the past 50 years but these two have never gotten close to going anywhere. Enjoy your P89.

Last edited by CaliforniaKid; 04-13-2018 at 04:33 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: