View Single Post

Old 04-13-2018, 07:55 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Victory model Post-war occupation

OK, bear with me, as I may not know all the proper terminology of revolver parts. I have a Victory model .38 that has the V ****** serial number on the butt, but has five different numbers on the front of the frame, under the cylinder strap. The 5 digit number matches the one on the cylinder strap. The pistol is Parkerized, and the butt of the frame is drilled for a lanyard ring, but the ring assembly has been removed. The grips are checkered walnut, and look like standard S&W grips, complete with trademark seal on both grips. Grips I've seen in pictures of other Victory revolvers were smooth, military style. The U.S. Property G.H.D. stamp is on the top strap, and on the left side of the frame, level with the cylinder window is stamped "Bavaria Municipal Police."
Does anyone know anything about the U.S. Army perhaps vetting Germans, and training or reinstating German police? The gun came from my father-in-laws things after he passed away twenty years ago, and aside from checking it occasionally, and wiping it down, I've done nothing with it. I know that he had acquired a few miltary firearms from one of the ordnance depots as they were sold as surplus. Most were well-used, and had been refurbished. (He was with the 35th Division, an infantry SGT/Squad Leader) I have a photo of the Victory and one of my other S&Ws. I can tell you about that one in a later post, if anyone's interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S&Ws-lo.jpg (95.5 KB, 33 views)