View Single Post

Old 04-13-2018, 11:17 PM

Liked 12,670 Times in 3,374 Posts
Default S&W Bodyguard Saturday to Thursday

That's how long I owned it.

I bought it for $269 new as part of a S&W sale at the local gun shop. I wanted a stainless steel slide so I ended up with the engraving. I wasn't a big fan as if I had to describe the engraving in one word, it would have been "cheesy".

But that's not why I traded it down river after less than a week.

The idea was to use it as a back up in a pocket holster in place of my Kimber Micro - slightly smaller, slightly lighter, and a lot less expensive. I took it to the range and was initially *almost* impressed as it shot 90 gr XTPs with *almost* perfect reliability.

One of the oddities of the Bodyguard, for me at least, is that the magazine release is small and hard to depress without shifting the pistol in your hand. But as it turns out, under recoil it impacts my hand somewhere and releases itself. Now, to be fair, since my little finger was wrapped under the grip, it didn't go anywhere, and still fed ok, but it was no longer locked in place. However, while it still fed rounds ok, it would no longer lock the slide back.

I was not enamored with the average velocity of 930 fps. That's about 40 fps slower than my Kimber and it's important as expansion with the XTP becomes increasing less reliable as the velocity gets farther and farther below 1000 fps. I assume the Kimber has a tighter chamber and or bore as the barrels are the same length.

I was totally unimpressed when I switched to hand loads using the slightly harder CCI primer. It had problems with light strikes. In fact I'd call it "worst case" as the light strikes were just infrequent enough that someone who only put a magazine or tow through it might make the mistake of thinking it was reliable. Worse, about half the time I got light strikes it would not fire on the second trigger pull and needed a third. This creates a real risk that a shooter might start assuming it was empty and that the slide had just not locked back (remember the bit above about the magazine releasing itself and not locking the slide back).

The good news is that these faults reduced the ungodly long trigger pull to something that was just "annoying".

Finally, unlike my Kimber Micro, or my Baby Rock, it really isn't very comfortable to shoot. The grip is too square and it just doesn't fit was well.

----

I just don't sell guns as a general rule. I make a rare exception if I really, really hate one, but hen I usually think it over and leave it in the safe for a year or two. Not this one. This one led me to new levels of loathing for a firearm. I bought it on Saturday, shot it on Tuesday and traded it down river on Thursday.

I could have kept it. A bit of research indicated I could spend $90 on a trigger kit for it to reduce the trigger pull by about 35% while the heavier hammer and hammer spring in the kit would resolve the light strikes. But that's $90 plus shipping I'd have to spend on a $270 pistol that by this time I really hated. I decided I'd rather cut my losses.

In the end I got store credit for it, traded it for another Star BM and only lost $20 in the whole deal.

I don't even have a picture of it, which is convenient as I'm going to treat it like an ex-girlfriend and try real hard to forget I ever knew it.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: