View Single Post

Old 04-13-2018, 11:21 PM

Liked 83 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Biblioitecario View Post
.......but a good shot with a M52 using both hands should be able to chew the center out of the target.
For better or worse, those of us with "old eyes" are limited in how well they can shoot, by how well they can see the sights. I'm pretty sure I'll eventually be satisfied with how well I can get to shoot with it, but the only solution for "old eyes" is optics, which I don't want to do right now. I did for my 1911, and it helped a lot, but I want to see how well I can eventually do with the M-52 using the steel sights.

It's a beautiful gun, probably as fine as anything that has ever been sold. It is finished beautifully, and everything was hand fitted by gunsmiths who did everything "by hand", no computers, no electronics. It looks great, and when people read what it is inside, they find it hard to believe anything like it even exists.

So many people have said it is a challenge to shoot well (and they've said it in words that are a lot stronger). For me, doing well is simple - I only have to do better than I did "last time". The more I get used to it, the better results I get. It still hasn't changed from "fun" to "frustrating" for me.

I will add that the M-52 is VERY picky about ammunition. For someone who isn't careful about reloading, the "best" group size obtainable at 25 yards can be seven inches or so, just due to the ammo. For me the choice is to buy factory ammo (harder to find all the time, with prices going up accordingly) or to load my own.

LOTS of good information on the Model 52 in the book "The Pistol Shooter's Treasury", but that book is getting harder to find....
The Following User Likes This Post: