View Single Post

Old 04-14-2018, 12:10 PM

Liked 83 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al W. View Post
.......Some of the folks at my range get a kick out of us guys with our obsolete firearms. The people still competing consider it to be more of a nostalgia driven activity.
To each his own.
Well, the 1911 is over 100 years old, and I can't see any reason to replace it with something made from plastic. For that matter, given a choice between a 1950 Chevy, and today's version, ain't no choice for me.

Maybe what you wrote is why people nowadays say you can shoot well because all your holes are someplace on the target. People near me tell me how great I'm doing, while I'm standing there completely frustrated. Maybe many of today's computer made guns are incapable of doing what typical guns did years ago. Maybe customers no longer care....

'smithrjd' wrote "In the 1911A1's and the revolvers I am at the first joint. With the 52-2 and the High Standard, the tip of the finger. " ......of course, that goes against everyone's advice, but I tried it last night dry-firing the 52. I thought this is an excellent idea. Maybe on a different gun that takes more force to activate the trigger, having a finger bone right over the trigger gives one more control - but on the 52, the trigger is so smooth, light, and effortless, that using my fingertip seemed to give me MORE control.

Also, in a link someone here sent me to, there was a thread about dry firing, and suggested doing it while sitting down, not standing facing the wall. As the write-up suggested, there is a limit to how long you're willing to stand facing a wall (maybe 50 times?), but you can do it endlessly, for hundreds of times, if you're sitting there with the gun between your legs. If you watch the sights, any movement is obvious - and so far it seems to me like a good way to build the habit of pressing the trigger in a way that has the least disturbance on the sights.

Last edited by mikemyers; 04-14-2018 at 12:13 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: