View Single Post

Old 04-14-2018, 12:37 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,956 Times in 3,659 Posts

So much for sight heights----ask and you shall receive!!

I'm quite certain there is a very specific mathematical formula for determining such things---equally certain I have no clue what it is. I reckon I could rattle off (some of) the variables involved---and even get some of them right. At the point when I might be asked to explain the impact of these several variables, I'd fall back on these words of wisdom from my almost five year old grandson (at the time).

The backstory: We started both our children in school (Montessori) at age 3 1/2. So it came to be with grandson #1.

The out of the mouths of babes story: His father and I were busy with something in the garage, when his son appeared. "How old are you now?", I asked. "Four and eleven twelfths.", came the reply. "Eleven twelfths, huh?", I responded. "Yep!", he replied----proudly. "Is that the same as twenty two twenty fourths?", I asked. He looked a bit concerned, and a bit puzzled----you could just see the little wheels going around in his head. Then he looked at his dad, with a "help me out here, Dad" look on his face. Dad shrugged his shoulders, and looked dumb. Little Sam scowled, let the wheels in his head spin around some more, and then said, "We haven't had that yet." With that, he departs; and his dad gave me a "So there!!" look; and we busted out laughing----having been well and truly put in our place.

Ralph Tremaine
The Following 3 Users Like Post: