View Single Post

Old 04-14-2018, 01:14 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,940 Times in 3,656 Posts

And now a question for Boulder350: The bottom of your barrel lug is machined flat. Is it machined flat-flat----or fancy-flat? (Fancy-flat is as is found on the 3rd Model barrels from the factory---flat with a depression in the center, and with chamfered edges.)

I ask because I have a .38 barrel cut "fancy-flat"-----and it carries 3rd Model sights (the best)---and it's as new (with the "fancy-flat" portion treated with cold blue). I've been told the factory so modified some/many/all 1st/2nd SS barrel assemblies remaining in inventory at a point in time----so they could be used with any/all the top-break SS's. It made sense---for sure from a marketing point of view---and from a machining point of view. (Why would anybody but the factory (who has the set-up, the procedure------AND a reason) modify a barrel in that fashion when "flat-flat" works just fine?)

So----I asked Jinks about it. He scoffed, and said, "Never happened!"

Time passed. Not all that long ago I had occasion to show this barrel to Terry Wagner (Think of Terry as Mr. Single Shot----summa cum laude!!!) His reply: "Yeah, I have several of those."

Now---you decide. (I've already decided.)

Ralph Tremaine

Last edited by rct269; 04-14-2018 at 01:25 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: