View Single Post

Old 04-14-2018, 02:01 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 5,261 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmark View Post
I saw 9MM SD shipped to my FFL for only $244 in a spam email today.
That's a good price, if it includes shipping...but you still might have to pay a transfer fee, which might be $15 or so, depending on your FFL dealer, plus tax.

I don't know if there is one near you, but Academy Sports routinely stocks the SDVE series (9 and 40) and right now they have them for $289 (no transfer fee, but state tax) in the stores here. If you really want a 40, it might be worth the few extra dollars to get the one you want.

Are the SDVE pistols reliable? I've owned a few of them, and yes they are reliable. If yours isn't, S&W will fix it. The trigger is indeed heavier than most striker fired semi-autos, but not as heavy as most DA revolver pulls (in DA mode.) I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, if I needed a great gun on a budget.

I'd also echo what others have said here...you might want to look into a better secure storage method for your car. While nothing will stop a determined thief who has the time and the tools, most smash and grab thieves have neither. You can get a good handgun safe for a lot less than a new pistol. Be aware that the tether that comes on some models can be easily cut with bolt cutters. Side cutters will cut them too, but it takes longer. I secure my handgun safe with a heavy chain and very good padlock...I had a hole drilled in the safe as near to the edge as I could get it, so that I could pass the shackle of the lock through the hole, and then attach the chain to the safe using the padlock...and the other end of the chain I lock to the seat frame post with another heavy duty padlock. This also helps prevent the safe being pried open, which can be done on most of the lesser expensive models. (I have to leave my gun in my car when we go somewhere where a gun cannot be legally carried, like to the doctor or hospital...which is becoming more frequent these days.)

There are inexpensive options for the SDVE series that I would recommend: a metal rear sight that fits the M&P 1.0 series pistols to replace the plastic rear sight (you will also need a set screw, which for some strange reason isn't included with the sight); an extended take down lever to make taking the pistol down easier; and a grip sleeve, although the newer models may have a better texture. I don't see the need for a stainless steel recoil spring or a trigger kit, but they are available if you want them. Of course, if you spend this much, you are fairly close to the price of a new M&P 2.0, which is a better pistol and won't need the upgrades I just mentioned.

Anyway, good luck with your next gun, whichever one you choose.