View Single Post

Old 04-14-2018, 02:54 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 966 Times in 285 Posts

The bottom of the barrel lug is machined fancy flat with the recess in it per the attached picture. It also has "Model of 91" stamped on the barrel. If those 2 things never came together originally it would make sense that the factory could have machined the lug off after the 3rd model came out so it would fit any break top single shots.

The revolver frame I'm mating the single shot barrel to is lettered as shipping to Mr A. C. Gould, famous publisher and target shooter from the late 1800's. Its a 38 revolver and the serial numbers match on the bottom of the frame and on the cylinder. The serial number on the barrel, latch, and grips are different and shipped to M.W. Robinson a year later. A mistake was made long ago because the letter says it shipped to Mr Gould as a single shot in 22 caliber with a 10" barrel in blue finish. Its listed in the Neil and Jinks book as a single shot too. Who knows if the factory records were not complete and it shipped as a combo set, or the serial number was read wrong when reading the records, or ....

Since receiving the letter I have purchased two books Mr Gould wrote. One is titled "Modern American Pistols and Revolvers" and the other is titled "Modern American Rifles". I also purchase the 2 book set of the reprints of his magazine "The Rifle" which was a monthly publication that came out in May of 1885. "The Rifle" publication was the forerunner to the official publication of the NRA, "The Rifleman".

As Gary suggests I'm planning on getting a display case made for this revolver, the new 10" 32 S&W barrel, and a 6" 22 barrel with no serial numbers on the latch or barrel. Should be a great tribute to Mr Gould.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (148.1 KB, 41 views)
The Following 4 Users Like Post: