View Single Post

Old 04-14-2018, 05:38 PM

Liked 2,639 Times in 607 Posts

"Keep in mind 3rd gems are the epitome of semi auto pistols world wide"

I don't think I'd drink the KoolAid to that extent, but they are certainly built to last. When the 3rd Gens were first introduced I remember thinking how solid they felt, definitely built to last.

More than thirty years of shooting things that started with "4" and often ended with "Magnum", in both short and long gun form, has resulted in arthritis in the distal joint on both hands and my right shoulder. I'm not a cripple by any means, but with an average consumption of 20k handgun rounds a year, a change to 9mm as my primary carry and training round became a necessity. I still likes me some half-ninety action though, so I'm very pleased with the 4506 in that regard. I see younger people firing these ridiculously large handguns without any thought to what it will cost them later on in life. I never did and it's costing me now.

The 3rd Gen. Smiths are absolutely undervalued, I've always noted that when comparing them to many other brands, as well as S&Ws own revolvers. I don't think that's likely to continue though. The younger generation seems to be discovering these old guns and considers them to be pretty cool, having been raised on plastic fantastics. In law enforcement circles they're called "hipster guns" now.

Last edited by Trooper224; 04-14-2018 at 05:47 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: