View Single Post

Old 04-15-2018, 07:56 AM

Liked 2,921 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Crittenden View Post
That serial number is a real head scratcher. May of been a factory "salesman's sample", or something like that. Probably worth a factory letter.

The barrel isn't a full-lug, but it does have the "heavy barrel" (HB) profile. Traditionally, the Model 18 had a standard barrel profile -- a lighter barrel and a slightly different "pinched" frame. (Looking more like the Model 15 of the same era).
Yes. Very unusual. Interesting. Odd.

Eric is a frequent and accurate poster and I trust his description this revolver really does have 17 dash 6 stamped on the frame but it would be interesting to see the stamp of the model number and the serial number on the frame opposite the yoke.

A Model 17 dash 6 should date to 1990-1994 and the triple alpha prefix serial numbers (i.e. AAA, AAB, AAC, etc.) transitioned into production between 1980 and 1983 so the single letter "S" prefix is odd. Possibly an old frame?

Old K-frames such as the .38 Special Military & Police Model. .38 Military & Police .38/200, and, .22 Military & Police (i.e. Post Office), a.k.a. pre-models 10, 11, and 45 had "S" prefixes so could this be an old frame from one of those?