View Single Post

Old 04-15-2018, 09:30 AM

Liked 2,220 Times in 1,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct269 View Post
Some of the folks here have spoken, shall we say, less than enthusiastically about the value of our toys as investment vehicles. I sat and stared, and wondered. I wondered if I should argue the point. I wondered how I might make a point without arguing. I decided not to attempt to make any point---to just tell a short story about my own experience with some guns---guns which would accurately be described both as collectible (because there are a lot of folks who collect them)---and guns which are at the same time as common as dirt.

There came a time (1999) when I couldn't find any of the S&W's I was hunting. It was discouraging--depressing even. I was hitting a lot of the big time shows, and coming home empty handed. Every time I walked in the door the Boss Lady asked, "Did you get anything?" She got the same answer every time. I was moaning and groaning about this to a Ruger friend----BIG TIME Ruger collector, who said, "Why don't you start collecting Rugers?" I had a soft spot for Rugers, having had some in my shooter days when I couldn't afford S&W's---and started my Ruger collection right then and there---left his table with a spiffy little Bearcat.

Now we jump ahead to 2007. My S&W collection is coming along, and my Ruger collection is complete----"Old Model Single Actions"-1953 to 1973---all of them in all calibers and all barrel lengths---34 guns total---all the same as the Bearcat---spiffy. I have no idea how much money I spent---other than not a whole lot, because most of them didn't cost very much. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe $15,000----call it $20,000 just for the sake of argument---in spite of the fact this isn't an argument.

So here I am in early 2017. I'm happy with my Ruger Collection, but I'm not head over heels in love with it anymore. I pack the whole mess up, jump in my little car, and head for David Carroll's digs. "Dump 'em.", says I. We speculated about what they might bring. Low to mid 40's was the consensus. Well, that's not too shabby, is it? Nope---and it was some wide of the mark too. By the time all the smoke cleared, they fetched low to mid 50's----and that for sure is not too shabby!!

If you have any interest in such things, you might want to look into the time value of money over that period of time. I mention that only because it's my favorite investment (or was)----being that it's risk free. On second thought, you probably don't want to look into that-----it's depressing.

Ralph Tremaine
For a fella not trying to make a point you make a good point .I guess if I buy a gun for investment I should treat it as an investment from the outset or more importantly buy it from the outlook as an investor therefore I would be more likely to actually make a return and do everything in my power to at least not devalue it on the other hand if I buy a gun to shoot and take care if it there is the chance of it increasing in value .Generaly most blue collar guys ( I am very blue collar but raised around people with lots of common sense) don't get that ok the gun didn't get more valuable the money became less valuable and occasionally you may beat the money getting less valuable thing but rarely .I appreciate your input not just from a gun standpoint but a financial standpoint also as the way they are printing it well they rarely print all of it anymore they just enter it into tne computer and click there it is so I guess so etching I have read that you have posted many times but truly today " it is only money " I wonder how many people know just how correct you are about that .