View Single Post

Old 04-15-2018, 02:02 PM

Liked 7,366 Times in 2,508 Posts

Honestly, no. Don't get me wrong, modern firearms are excellent tools which obviously have surpassed classic firearms, but that's just it, they're tools, and as such, very little attention to detail is devoted towards the design of tools to give them any sort of distinctive style or aesthetic appeal because in all honesty, such things are superfluous towards their intended purpose.
However, having grown up during a time in which firearms manufacturers devoted time and effort into the design of their firearms to give them at least a touch of style, not to mention my exposure to firearms from long before my time in an era in which firearms manufacturers clearly put a lot of effort into the design of their firearms from an aesthetic standpoint because they were most often open carried and therefore their appearance was more important since it was a part of your everyday attire, I obviously prefer the look of older firearms.

Personally, my all-time favorite firearms are the Walther PPK/S and Smith & Wesson Model 29, and while there are obviously modern firearms which have improved on these designs, nothing can match their raw aesthetic appeal in my opinion, and even when the chips are down, I would trust my life to either.
In fact, in spite of all the superior options available today as far as .380 pistols go, my EDC is a Smith & Wesson manufactured PPK/S. Sure, it's awfully big and heavy compared to modern .380 pistols, but I like the size since it's big enough to get a full grip on and the weight isn't generally enough to make it feel cumbersome, so it makes no difference to me. Maybe someday I'll replace it with something smaller and lighter, (namely if Walther ever makes their own lightweight .380 pocket pistol with similar aesthetics) but for right now I'm satisfied with the PPK/S.