View Single Post

Old 04-15-2018, 02:34 PM

Liked 71 Times in 17 Posts
Default The 3rd Generation Journey

Starting my first thread here, been a longtime lurker and commented just a few times. This is going to be a long one, so please be pre-warned. I will have some CS9 pics, so hopefully some folks will enjoy and comment. This is my Smith & Wesson 3rd Generation journey! A little crazy twist, but a good ending yesterday!

I have been reading, learning and soaking up as much knowledge that there is to be gained here as I can. I know I have only scratched the surface, but to all those that have ever commented, passed on some knowledge, there are many readers out here that greatly appreciate it.

For those that have given some sound advice, suggesting what a wealth of knowledge this forum could be, you were absolutely right, and it was much appreciated.

I had always been a 3rd Gen Smith fan, throughout my young adult life, I thought they were cool guns. Back then, I didn't even own a handgun, but like many of us I grew up in the 80s and 90s,when action and gun depictions in movies/tv were abundant. Much of my firearm experience up until my mid to late 20s, was related to deer hunting with a 30-30, or shooting some shotguns in the Scouts as a younster. Hell, I didn't know much about different manufacturers and models, only the basics.

A good amount of time has passed since them, and I have been fortunate enough to own and shoot many semi-auto handguns. In that time I have really come to prefer DA/SA pistols, and it eventually lead me to search out knowledge on 3rd Gen Smiths, something this forum has greatly contributed to.

I bought my first 3rd Gen, when I was fairly new to the Smith 3rd Gen pistols. Quite honestly, I walked into my LGS and saw it in cabinet, made a good deal, and brought that S&W 4506 home with me. It was in good condition, but once I got it cleaned up, I was quite impressed. It has been a great gun every since. This 4506 was also my first .45 ACP, and it has opened up a whole new caliber for my interests.

The 4506 got me into the 3rd Gen world, but it can be a long and dangerous road for your wallet. There are so many excellent choices from all the research that have done, both in the "Value" line, standard models, PC offerings, etc. The 4506 started the passion and eventually I knew I wanted another 3rd Gen S&W.The only problem was deciding on which model and what the bank account could afford. Timing and money, always an issue. This began the journey into 3rd Gen Smiths.

Last December, I was in the same LGS were I got the 4506, looked down in the cabinet again and saw a CS9. It looked to be in excellent condition and upon inspecting it, my thoughts were confirmed. At the time, I had a little money in my pocket, and the LGS was gearing up for their end of the year sale. Prices are marked down and good deals are to be had. In fact, I grabbed the 4506 at one of the previous years sales.

After talking to shop folks, and frantically doing as much research on the CS9 as I could in my limited timeframe, I decided to see if I could pick it up for a deal.
The shop had it marked for $499, and I thought I might get a good deal again. I know, I know, $499 for a super clean CS9 is a good deal, but I did not know it them. Go in for the sale, not marked down. I ended up not picking it up. I was still on the fence at the time, and was looking at a few other firearms or spending the money elsewhere.

The CS9 was still there about a month later, and I was surprised to still see it. I thought for sure someone would have grabbed it. They had pulled it from the shelf and they were about to list it on the "big" auction site. I thought again about seriously getting it, but once again I did not. Many of you are probably thinking I was idiot not to grab it at $499, but at the time I had not shot the 3rd Gen Smith 9mm platform.

Uncle Sam was generous to me this year, and returned some of my money to me. I got my return a couple weeks after seeing the CS9 the second time. I figured, hey I think I am ready; having been reading heavily, watching reviews, maybe the CS9 is still there. Go back to LGS, not in the system, must of sold on auction. You snooze, you lose.

I was kinda disappointed and kicking my self for not getting it, but so is life. From my readings, most consider the Chief's Special to be the smallest, best DA/SA out there. In reality, it is really the only one in its class. A small, all metal, DA/SA handgun, that people that own, suggest other buys, and has an outstanding reputation.

Still kicking myself....especially what I know now!

Looking at the CS9 opened up my eyes, and re-booted the 3rd Journey. For nearly the past four months, I have been watching prices on auction sites for all 3rd Gen Smiths, reading forums, searching for good deals, watching videos and learning.

About 3 weeks ago I still had some Uncle Sam money, and I was fortunate enough to come across a 6906 import from Robinson's Trading Post, that is absolutely excellent. The 6906 was on my list, recommended highly on these forum pages, and it was the right deal at the time. It is a real shooter, and in fantastic shape. First time out, I shoot it more accurately than and of my other handguns.

This fueled me to dig deeper into 3rd Gen Smiths and all there is out there and what can be done. With me enjoying the 6906, I decided to make it a project gun. This 6906 came with blue trigger and hammer, and I am now am in the process of going through the gun and swapping out to all blued controls and pins. Picked up a few extra parts and springs from Numrich, gonna do some light smithing and polishing and see how it turns out. I plan on having this one a long time and want to have some spares parts to keep this fantastic 3rd Gen pistols running for a long time. One day I hope to enjoy some range sessions shooting this together with my young son, and eventualy passing it him to enjoy for several more decades.

I continued to look at other 3rd Gens, and watch prices. I am kinda a junky for firearms if you could not realize yet. What do I see, looks like the same CS9 at the same shop on the big auction site. This was Thursday off this week, with the auction set to end this morning. I called the LGS and they said they believe it may be the same CS9 and gave me some details.

I know that I missed an opportunity at $499, knowing what I know now, and how hard these can be to come by locally, especially in the condition that this one is in. I went by the shop on Friday to see and it was the indeed the same CS9 I looked at in December. It had a bid, but reserve not met. I had to win it or wait. I knew the reserve so I waited and the high bidder was at $450 (hope the bidder was none you guys). I watched it until the last second and it did not sell. The description was slightly off as it said only one magazine and did not mention original box and documents.

I went into the LGS yesterday afternoon, and did not let it slip away this time. Over four months later, I walked out the door for just under $500. To me this is just crazy, but I guess it was just meant to be. The LGS had sold it on auction previously, when I checked earlier and they said it was gone. It sold and the buyer never sent payment. Their lose is my gain, should of bought in December for $500. The original CS9 is now part of the collection and will not be going anywhere, except to my son.

Thanks for sticking with me if you have read this far.

This forum has been full of posts and threads with an abundance of knowledge from some very knowledgeable individuals. I am glad that I discovered this well, and I will continue to drink. Without what I have read and from contributors to this forum, I may never have found what is turning out to be some of my favorite handguns. DA/SA 3rd Genarations Smiths.

I will maybe post some 6906 pics when done, should be this week. Maybe I will get all three together and put them on display.

Here are some pics of the Chief's Special, the only deterring mark is under the slide stop/take down lever. Looks like lack of lubrication and some riding it hard, put some idiots marks on it. Other than that this CS9 is super clean in my opinion and looks not to be fired much. I am by far no expert, but maybe some of the gurus can chime in. This is how I picked it up from the shop.How did I do?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180415_000217.jpg (84.5 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of 20180415_000330.jpg (164.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 20180415_000534.jpg (84.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20180415_000601.jpg (92.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 20180415_000358.jpg (84.7 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by UnstopaNole99; 04-15-2018 at 04:05 PM.
The Following 18 Users Like Post: