View Single Post

Old 04-15-2018, 11:30 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 13,604 Times in 1,726 Posts

These boxes are not all that 'scarce'. They actually pop up with some frequency.
Yes, they are well sought after.
Yes, they only made 1067 of the 2nd Model Masterpieces.
I think a pretty good percentage of those shipped were purchased by people with the means to do so above and beyond the normal twenty two of the day. So, I believe that the life of the gun was a nice one and the boxes experienced the same treatment.

I talked to Roy about the boxes and he asked me, "how many do you want?".

As we all know, Smith and Wesson geared up to sell their newly minted Masterpieces. Purchased brand new shiny red boxes to house the newly minted Masterpieces. Hell, even the first few guns shipped left the factory in Outdoorsman's boxes.

It seems that there exists a bundle/pallet, butt load of ready-to-make-up boxes. Who knows when they will be released to the masses. Roy shies away from the notion that a gun should be housed in anything other than it's original factory box. His words folks.

I believe that each and every item of interest in any collecting situation is at the discretion of the seller as far as pricing. There are many gives and takes to the whole realm of acquiring and the disposition of each.
I believe it is rather disingenuous to think that a seller must sell you something for what he paid for it to accommodate your current 'needs'. I have seen, more than once, someone just had to have what I had only to find out after I gave him a fair and just price he flipped it. Yes, I sold it to him. Yes, he owns it now. But, a certain level of good faith gets eroded away each time that happens.

If you have a market, sell.

My philosophy still falls in the category of condition. Stellar gun, needs stellar stocks, needs stellar box, and so on.

An under percentage of either of those three subtracts from, not adds too.

I have paid the price for a box. Some know that, most aren't aware. I will not buy a 70 percent box for any 95 percent gun.

My thoughts.

bdgreen

The Following 8 Users Like Post: