View Single Post

Old 04-16-2018, 01:53 AM

Liked 2,954 Times in 1,054 Posts

[QUOTE=one eye joe;140002810]CB3, JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY, I AM WONDERING IF YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW THE CALIBER BULLET, THAT THE OFFICERS HIT THIS GUY 26 TIMES WITH ? ? ?

I do not know the caliber. The officers shot a total of 26 rounds. Not all of them struck the individual. The video narrative said they hit him 18 times.

Obviously no one of these was a central nervous system, fight ending shot. The volume of holes, misplaced as they may have been, pretty much guaranteed his bleed out/demise.

A poorly placed .45 slug, or 18 of them, are not likely to cause a significantly greater amount of damage than 9mm slugs. Actual forensic evidence does not support the superiority of any modern defensive loading or caliber over another. There is just too little difference. Penetration and destroying part of the central nervous system are fight stoppers. Loads that meet at a minimum the FBI standards, including 9mm, are roughly equally effective.

The point of my post was simply that even 18 hits in a real gun battle did not immediately end the fight. Five or six rounds from a revolver (or 9 hits from two revolvers) would have even less effect, or even 7 or 8 rounds from a single stack, especially if it was a caliber that does not meet FBI standards.

Those who feel confident that they will prevail in a real gunfight with six rounds vs. more are welcome to their opinion. Some may, especially if they are lucky. Others may not, because they actually did not have the skill (or luck) to hit the central nervous system and incapacitate the attacker before the attacker could kill the defender. The main point is, no pistol round, including .45 ACP, is really powerful. Most pistol wounds are survivable and have much less effect than we desire on motivated attackers.

Just saw another video from Pasadena, TX. Basically, suicide by cop. Stopped motorist gets out of his car, points his gun at deputy who was already pointed in. Cop drills the guy six times, apparently all hits, at about 25 feet. The guy staggers away from his car, does a death spiral in the middle of the road trying to point his gun at the deputy, actually is able to fire a round about 10 seconds after being shot, and the deputy nails him again with multiple shots. Slowly he stumbles, drops his gun, falls, and keeps moving on the ground for another 10 seconds. He was a potential threat after being hit multiple times for about 30 seconds. To use your caps: PEOPLE DONT DIE WHEN SHOT WITH PISTOLS AS FAST AS WE WANT. If they are not dead and still have a weapon, they are still a threat.

I carry a Full Size M&P 9mm AIWB, 17+1, and a spare 23 round extended mag. I don’t find it any more inconvenient to carry than a smaller gun. I don’t believe in spray and pray, but I also don’t believe six is enough in some really tough situations, especially with multiple attacker’s. That’s my choice and opinion.

However, I notice that those who go into harm’s way professionally do not carry six shot revolvers or .380 auto 8 shot pocket pistols as their primary means of defending their lives. Yes, they used to, and when their gun was empty after three seconds, better equipped bad guys (even if wounded) would come up and shoot them dead. That’s not the way I want to go.

Last edited by CB3; 04-16-2018 at 01:57 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: