View Single Post

Old 04-16-2018, 07:34 PM

Liked 132 Times in 71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by model3sw View Post
Hi, Chris. The warning I think you're looking for was more prominent on boxes of ammo from about 1900 to 1930s, with the advent of smokeless powder to warn user it may not be suitable for black powder guns. Are you seeking such warning on a modern box of ammo ? Those black powder warnings were no longer emphasized by the 1950s.
Hi Sal; basically anything that shows that the Pre. 1900 Top Breaks were designed and manufactured for a Cartridge no longer available here in my Jurisdiction. Now .38 S&W is obviously still made and in theory still available here; even though no one brings it into Aus because there is really no demand for it.

Warnings on Boxes might help to establish that an 1899 SH or DA in 38 was made for BP, so NP is not technically the Charge it was meant to fire. The old boxes would be the ones of most help for sure.

Ed's suggestion of the Warning Flyer found in S&W Boxes of the Era is the best one by far; basically irrefutable proof so long as its date can be verified.

I wrote a letter about a year ago to the Historical folks we get our S&W Letters from but never heard back from them.

Thanks for the pics of your Ammo Boxes fellas; they will be of help and I have plenty now that show what I was asking for.

Proof of the 'Flyer' Ed mentioned and/or of the fact S&W did not Guarantee their Guns with NP puts me on safe ground theoretically; all i need now is something verifiable and I'm set.