Thread: Recommend tools
View Single Post

Old 04-16-2018, 09:45 PM

Liked 28,943 Times in 14,013 Posts

There's a lot of tools you can easily make yourself. A simple tool to ease removal of the rebound slide will take you maybe five minutes to make and will work just as well as anything you can buy. I have a set of cheap pin punches I bought at Harbor Freight for less than $5 and they seem to work fine. If you have a lathe, you can turn your own punches from brass or steel rod, bolt shafts, etc.. I have done that. I've used them for many years. A couple of pieces of aluminum angle make good vise jaw protectors. And you could glue onto them some leather or rubber if you choose. I often wrap parts in leather when I put them in a vise. Generally, unless it's a tool you will be using daily, or at least frequently, no need to get the best quality. Some cities have used tool stores and those can be a treasure trove for a hobbiest. I remember one place in a small West Texas crossroads town which had an amazing number of about any type of used tool you could imagine at near-giveaway prices. I bought several sets of micrometers and calipers there, along with sockets, wrenches, drill bits, hand tools, etc. He carried everything. Don't overlook Harbor freight or Northern Tool if there is one in your area.

Last edited by DWalt; 04-16-2018 at 09:50 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: