Thread: 686 Pro 5"
View Single Post

Old 04-16-2018, 11:38 PM

Liked 165 Times in 94 Posts
Default 686 Pro 5"

Other posts about accuracy issues got me thinking.
My gun shot like doo doo, crown looked like doo doo,, sent back to smith to crown barrel.
It came back and I shot an off hand group ran som eplate racks,,, seemed to be fine.
Put up for a couple years.
Now got a pistol bench rest and working up good loads,, It shoots ok, but not all impressive.
Another poster stated accuracy issues are farther back..
So,,,,, did some measuring.
1 I had a squib,,, load with primer only got swithced when i was setting up dies,,
So VOILA land and groove measurement once I wacked out the bullet.
Broke out calipers, a new box of Hornady XTP's .357 and some new bayou cast .358.
So what do I get ? pretty shocking,,, Throats appear to be .357.. I can push the XTP through with a plastic pen. A bit of resistance,, I thought it would fall,, but I have to push a bit Although when I mike them after pushing through all 7 cylinders dia is still .357
So looking like a .357 throat,,, Ideally I think it should be at .358, moving on to barrel
Was getting .352 ish groove,, but then noticed I cant figure out how to measure land and groove , As on this gun the Land is 180 out from the groove,, turned it a hair off to catch both grove, seems I get a .352-.351 issh area when I rotate bullet

So ? what to do ? can ream cylinder throats to .358,, but thinking even though barrel seems tight, if it is at least tighter than throat, none of this is a problem

Last edited by Joe4d; 04-16-2018 at 11:41 PM.