Thread: who to fix it?
View Single Post

Old 04-17-2018, 05:14 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 20,594 Times in 8,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWK-12 View Post
It will happen with both factory and reloads. With the lightweight frame, my reloads are rather low pressure (low recoil) and are more likely to leave a primer high. The last time I was out, I peered in along the breech face when a case stuck and saw the primer sticking out and contacting right where the lip on the hammer nose bushing was. The cylinder begins to rotate until the primer gets to the edge of the bushing.

It would be difficult to file off the edge of the bushing. It's just about at the level of the breech. It looks as if the rest of the bushing (that is, the face away from the edge) is actually sitting a bit lower than the aluminum frame.
You actually have two problems:

1) The high primers is an issue that has already been addressed above.

2) The firing pin bushing is supposed to be flush with the recoil shield.
The bushing is an "interference fit" and is driven in, however the aluminum frame is soft so the bushing is not retained as well as if it were pressed into a steel frame. And/or it was canted when driven in, especially if you only have a lip on one side.

Insert a brass rod with flat end that fits in the bore, down the barrel and gently tap on the protruding lip until it's seated flush with the recoil shield.
S&WCA #819
The Following 11 Users Like Post: