View Single Post

Old 04-17-2018, 10:12 AM

Liked 8,885 Times in 4,121 Posts

I no longer shoot any magnum handgun cartridges, but used to use one load for all .357 Magnum revolvers: cast 160 grain #51 H&G SWC (the original .357 Magnum bullet) and 12 grains #2400. As I recall, the chronographed muzzle velocity was around 1,100 fps from a 6" Python.

I had been using standard CCI-500 primers for quite a while. With the same powder charge and bullet I tried all the various standard and magnum primers I could locate and fired many groups, benchrested at 25 yards.

I don't have the figures in front of me, but with the exception of Winchester, I got slightly better accuracy with Federal, Remington, and CCI magnum primers than I did with the CCI 500s I had used for so long. These results surprised me. While differences were small but measurable, they weren't enough for me to to start buying more than one small pistol primer. I stayed with the CCI 500 as a matter of convenience.

A more accurate gun and a shooter with better benchrest skills than I have might turn up something more definitive than my results.
The Following User Likes This Post: