View Single Post

Old 04-17-2018, 12:09 PM
US Veteran

Liked 14,362 Times in 5,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR III View Post
Gary, being new to the antique S&W world, I am not sure that I understand your question. My brief time as a student of the antiques has led me to believe that the 1, 1 1/2 and 2 and even the 3 for that matter were used to designate changes to the first models produced by S&W. The 1 was a small .22, 7 shot, the two was a larger 6 shot .32 caliber and the 1 1/2 (so named because it came out after the model 2) was squeezed between the models 1 and 2 and was a smaller .32 rim fire 5 shot.
That is all correct and the company advertised them as such. Now comes along the 32 Single Action and the 38 Single Action which started manufacture just after the end of production of the 22 and 32 RF revolvers. Completely different from the rimfire predecessors. Why did they name them Model 1 1/2 and Model 2 was the question since the rimfire models were probably still on the shelves when the centerfire guns of the same name started production.

I was trying to point out the difficulty in answering many threads started by asking about a Model 1 1/2 or Model 2 without photos and we cannot determine which gun is being referred to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sput Trigger S&Ws.jpg (56.4 KB, 30 views)
The Following User Likes This Post: