View Single Post

Old 04-17-2018, 12:51 PM
US Veteran

Liked 9,664 Times in 1,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaconda View Post
Yikes. Just want to make sure it can’t damage the barrel ?
A properly sized bronze bore brush will not damage a steel bore. I learned to use dry-brushing as the first step in cleaning heavily fouled bores of rifles, submachineguns, machineguns, and anti-tank rifles of all calibers, and from all over the world, while on a temporary assignment at the Fort Benning, GA, post armory where US and foreign weapons were in constant heavy use for training purposes.

I keep my well worn bronze bore brushes for the occasional heavy cleaning requirements of pistols and revolvers fired extensively with lead bullets. Wrap the worn brush with a couple of turns of 0000-grade steel wool to scrub out the worst leading and other fouling, followed by routine cleaning. No damage will ever be done.

Solvent is needed to remove copper fouling from jacketed bullets and powder residue. I apply solvent with a bore patch, let the piece sit for an hour, then bore brush, wet patches, and dry patches until completely clean.

I never oil a bore unless the firearm is going into long-term storage. Guns coming out of long-term storage need a proper cleaning before next use.

Last edited by LoboGunLeather; 04-17-2018 at 12:54 PM.