Thread: who to fix it?
View Single Post

Old 04-17-2018, 02:29 PM

Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Well, it's not my reloads.

The indoor range in town had only Federal 130 FMJ for use (and you must use their ammo in their range), but this is probably low pressure stuff and more likely to leave the primer high. I put six in and rotated the cylinder with my fingers to verify no rims were too thick. On firing, the gun jammed on the second round.

I removed the cases and could see the primer was left high on that round. I put it alone back in and rotated the cylinder around by hand, and sure enough, it binds every time on that fired case. To see if it was a fluke, I reloaded six more and the next round did the same.

The odd thing is I don't recall this happening so much with factory loads. On the other hand, I've never shot this load in it. I did, though, shoot the similar load from Remington, and, again, I don't recall it happening so often.

armorer951, thank you for those pictures and explanation. Mine doesn't look like that, but an older Model 10 of the same era as my 12 did, and so did a modern J frame I looked at, both a few weeks ago. On yours, at the edge of the bushing, it falls off in a bevel. On mine, there is a ragged, raised lip instead. I'll try to find a camera to make a suitable digital picture and get it up on the web for posting here.

Last edited by KWK-12; 04-17-2018 at 02:32 PM.