Thread: C V Blade
View Single Post

Old 04-17-2018, 08:29 PM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

In theory I strongly prefer super hard stainless blades. They should retain an edge longer in use, not lose their keen edge to corrosion in storage and stay bright and shiny in a collection. However, in hindsight Case's CV blades are what I actually used the most. Ease of sharpening favors great granddad's 1095 carbon steel blades. Maybe that's why currently the most expensive brands of slip joints use 1095 exclusively. Case's CV probably has over 1% chromium which technically makes it not a 1xxx steel. I believe Case uses a carbon steel with a little chromium to help keep their polished blades bright while on display in stores. I haven't put a Case CV blade through the same use as a known 1095 bade enough to have an opinion on how they compare but they are similar. The carbon steel blades in the Randals that members pay $500 for is also very similar. I suggest righting off your Muskrat's new shine and making it your back yard knife. After a year report back how much you appreciate the gift.

Last edited by k22fan; 04-17-2018 at 08:33 PM.