View Single Post

Old 04-18-2018, 10:23 AM

Liked 25,740 Times in 8,697 Posts

In general, I do NOT like today's firearms! I think they are cheaply made, use cheaper metals, less expensive and cheaper production methods, Polymers, Plastics. Aluminums, "printed" wood patterns, composite woods,
laminated woods, cast parts and cheesy instruction manuals, boxes and Magazines.

Once in a "blue moon" a manufacturer will make a firearm that meets my personal standards (yes I am tough to please when it comes to firearms and tools). There are a few examples I can think of off hand. One is a CZ 453 American .22LR made about 10 or 12 years ago (now discontinued). It came with a beautiful solid Walnut stock, ALL steel parts (including the trigger guard) that were forged, a beautifully strong Bolt, a Single Set Target Trigger, excellent instruction manual and impeccable craftsmanship, fit & finish! The whole package was about $550 and I actually bought this over the Kimber Super America I had set out to buy at 3 times the price. CZ has since cheapened up the rifle and now call it the 455 I believe. It's an OK rifle now but not even close to the 453 IMHO.

Another example that comes to mind are the SAA's Colt is currently trickling out of their Factory. They make very little these days, but IMO their SAA Revolvers are the best quality I've ever seen AND they actually work and work very well!!

Other than those two, I can't really think of any firearm I'd purchase new rather than buying a little used vintage example.

BTW, this is NOT restricted to the firearms industry. About the only industry that has stepped up to the plate (that comes to mind quickly) is the American Automobile brands. I really think they make the best cars they have ever made right now and are on a level playing field with ANY foreign made Auto, That's just my personal opinion and I am sure some may feel differently. The best cars I've ever owned in my life have been the American branded cars over the last 13 - 15 years and yes I've owned some expensive foreign cars that always get rave reviews.