View Single Post

Old 04-18-2018, 05:10 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,996 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghunter View Post
Took the 327PC 2" to the range for the first 100rds through it. The 7yd range wasn't available so I ventured to the 25yd range. Yikes. I couldn't hit a dadgum thing at 25yds. It was utterly embarrassing to put 100rds down range and only put a handful on paper. I'm no Jerry Miculek for sure- but I didn't expect to be that bad. I know the 327PC is not meant to be a range gun but anyone else experience this? I have to blame myself as a new revolver shooter but never in my life have I totally missed target so many times. Is there any history or accuracy issues out of the box with this gun that Smith would fix? The trigger is really sweet so it can't be a trigger issue. Looking for answers beyond "I stink". I was shooting Remington 130gr which isn't know to be great ammo but I had no issues with strikes, misfires, etc. Any thoughts beyond practice, pratice, practice? I don't even know where to hold to get the gun on target?
THE FIRST THING THAT YOU MUST DO, IS TO ZERO THE REVOLVER, WITH THE AMMO THAT YOU INTEND TO SHOOT......

THIS NEEDS TO BE DONE, WHILE SEATED AT THE RANGE, RESTING THE RECEIVER--NOT THE BARREL--AND YOUR 2 HANDS, GRIPPING THE GUN, ON A SANDBAG, OR ROLLED UP TOWEL. USING A TRADITIONAL, "6 O'CLOCK HOLD". FIRE A CYLINDER OF AMMO, CAREFULLY IN SA MODE, IF YOUR REVOLVER ALLOWS. . FROM THAT, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DISCERNE WHERE THE GUN IS SHOOTING. NOW MAKE YOUR SIGHT ADJUSTMENTS TO BRING POI, TO COINCIDE WITH POA. (READ BELOW) BE PATIENT, AND REPEAT THE PROCEDURE, UNTIL YOU ARE SATISFIED......

REMEMBER THAT THE 6 O'CLOCK HOLD IS USED IN BULLSEYE COMPETITION, ON PAPER TARGETS. THE PROPER SIGHT PICTURE IS HELD AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BLACK BULLSEYE (6 O' CLOCK) KEEPING THE THINNEST BAND OF WHITE PAPER BETWEEN THE TOP OF THE BLACK FRONT SIGHT BLADE, AND THE BULL. WITH SUCH A HOLD, THE FRONT SIGHT IS NOT OBSCURED OR LOST, AGAINST THE BLACK BULLSEYE. THE GOAL IN BULLSEYE IS TO PUT ROUNDS IN THE X RING, USING THE 6 O'CLOCK HOLD.......

IF YOU WISH TO TAKE A CONSERVATIVE APPROACH, START WITH A TARGET AT 7 YDS. ONCE YOU APPEAR TO BE ZEROED AT THAT DISTANCE, YOU CAN MOVE OUT TO 25 YDS. YOU WILL PROBABLY NEED SOME FURTHER ADJUSTMENT---BUT AT LEAST YOU SHOULD HAVE AN ACTUAL GROUP, SOMEWHERE ON THE PAPER.....

REMEMBER THAT IN HUNTING AND SELF DEFENSE, THE 6 O'CLOCK HOLD IS NOT APPLICABLE. THE POI SHOULD CORRESPOND EXACTLY TO THE POA. ONCE ZEROED FOR BULLSEYE, MAKING THE TRANSITION TO A SD OR HUNTING SIGHT SETTING, SHOULD ONLY REQUIRE A FEW CLICKS OF ELEVATION SCREW ADJUSTMENT. THE SAME HOLDS TRUE FOR A CHANGE IN BULLET WEIGHT, OR VELOCITY.....

TAKE YOUR TIME, AND GOOD LUCK ! ! !

BTW--MY 2 1/2", M686+ IS CAPABLE OF REMARKABLE ACCURACY@ 50', AND 25 YDS. I SAW A FEW YOUTUBE FLICS OF JERRY M, HITTING TARGETS AT OUTRAGEOUS DISTANCES, WITH SHORT BARRELED HANDGUNS. IT PROVES TO ME, THAT A PROPERLY MANUFACTURED REVOLVER, IS CAPABLE OF ACCURACY, MUCH BETTER THAN MOST OF US CAN ACHIEVE. IN OTHER WORDS, MOST OF THEM SHOOT BETTER THAN, MOST OF US CAN HOLD THEM..............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 560429_474107049271454_282430067_n.jpg (71.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by one eye joe; 04-18-2018 at 09:15 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: